Tuesday, January 17, 2012

2012 Regular Legislative Session Days 8 and 9

Today was the first day of the 2012 Legislative Session that we took action on legislation. We voted on a small set of bills from the 2011 session, all of which do nothing to address the budget deficit. I’m sitting in the State Government and Tribal Affairs Committee right now listening to testimony on 6 bills that, once again, do nothing to address the budget deficit. I suppose you could argue that HB 222 does do something to address the budget. This is a bill allowing the state library to recover costs associated with research requests from people who are not residents ... total increase in revenue $45k. Ugh! There’s also a bill designating July 25th as patient safety day ... now this is an important issue for the Legislature.

I have quite a few meetings this week, but am really looking forward to seeing some folks from home. The Realtors will be in town this week and always enjoy seeing them. AWB will also be in town on Tuesday ... yeah, another opportunity to see more folks from the 15th District. I’m going to head back home this weekend to attend the Yakima Association of Realtors Installation Dinner.

So I somehow forgot to post this yesterday, sorry everyone. I woke up this morning to about 8 inches of snow in the driveway ... yikes! It took me 45 minutes to drive to the Evergreen Freedom Foundation to do a radio show with Rep. Matt Shea. I hope folks back in the district were able to hear it. I missed my first committee meeting of the day due to the radio show and trying to drive to the Capital from the EFF recording studio. People in Olympia DO NOT know how to drive in the snow.

I heard yesterday the Senate Ways and Means Committee (budget committee) has cancelled all their hearings for the second week in a row and according to our budget lead, Rep. Gary Alexander, the House Democrats have done nothing in the way of working on a budget thus far. Ugh!

Some breaking news, the Republican National Committee passed a resolution condemning Agenda 21. For more information, go to www.varight.com/news/news/they-did-it-republican-n...ution. This is some great news!

Off to my Labor and Workforce Development Committee meeting.


http://chumly.com/n/f91be8

No comments:

Post a Comment